Monday, February 7, 2011

A Walking Tour of Paris

Last Tuesday, I decided to take advantage of an overcast yet not overly cold morning to take a long walk to a market I've been dying to visit since we moved here. The Marche des Enfants Rouges is the oldest food market in Paris, originating in 1615 under the rule of Louis XIII. The name means Market of the Red Children, supposedly referring to a 17th century orphanage nearby where the children wore red uniforms.

As many people I speak to have never been to Paris, I decided to document my walking tour to the Marche, to show what real Paris looks like. So what did I see along my route?

Eglise St. Germain


One of many beautiful old Parisian buildings decorating in a mosaic pattern.

Place Furstenburg, my favorite quiet corner of Paris, housing Delacroix's home in a museum dedicated to his work.


A beautiful flower shop.


Eventually, after weaving through the small streets off of Boulevard St. Germain, I came to St. Michel and its famous fountain, right on the Seine.

After making my way through the tiny cobblestone streets of St. Michel, I turned a corner to discover the Cathedral Notre Dame just ahead.


Before crossing the River Seine to the Ile de la Cite, I stopped by Shakespeare and Co., a famous English bookstore here in Paris.

Passing under Notre Dame allows walkers to view the famous gargoyles up close.


Paris wouldn't be Paris without berets and scarves! Thank goodness for the little tourist shops near Notre Dame.
A view of the next little island in the Seine, the Ile St. Louis, a chic and quietly beautiful neighborhood.


The Pont Marie (Marie Bridge) connecting the Ile St. Louis to the Right Bank.

Once entering the Right Bank, I came across THANKSGIVING, an American grocery store! See some of your favorites in this photo. Lucky Charms: 12 euros!

Heading into the Marais, Paris’s Jewish Quarter, I passed through the Hotel de Sully, a mansion built between 1625 and 1630.



The Hotel de Sully took me straight through to the famous Place des Vosges, a beautiful (perfectly) square park, which was built by Henri IV from 1605-1612. Victor Hugo lived at #6 from 1832-1848.

After walking up Rue de Turenne for another 10 minutes, I turned the corner at Rue de Bretagne, and soon enough, the market snuck up on me! My heart pitter-pattered in anticipation of finally seeing the market I've been hoping to see for months.

But OH the disappointment! When I finally got inside, I discovered that most of the vendors where not there. There were a few ladies selling vegetables and one or two vendors with fresh pastas or selling liquor. Because it was Tuesday, not many stalls were open. It was just a sign that I need to go back on the weekend when Peter is available to join me!

I decided to head home, as my legs were growing tired from the long walk. But as I headed towards home, new sights kept catching my eye.

A miniature version of the Arch de Triomphe, at the Porte de Saint Martin.


A gorgeous clock at the top of a building. The name on the clock is A. Reamur, which is also the name of the nearby metro stop.

After a long walk, I decided to hop the metro home!

I finally ended up back in the St. Germain area, and hopped into Monoprix, the local grocery store to pick up a "Coca Light" and some lunch to fill me up!

A Googlemap view of my walking tour.

Although the market was a disappointment, it was an enjoyable walk and only made me want to continue to explore Paris even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment